Friday, November 16, 2007

OLPC Give 1, Got 1

Today I came across an interesting article about the OLPC project (One Laptop Per Child), on laptopmag.com. It is about how a woman went to Africa to deliver one of the OLPC laptops.

If you look at the core goals of the OLPC project it seems to me like a great way to help get some third world children better education. The OLPC is designed specifically for children in developing nations. On November 11th, they started a two week One Laptop Per Child's Give 1, Get 1 program. This program allows anyone in the U.S. and Canada to buy one for $399, and then one gets donated in their name to another child. On top of that you get on year of free access to T-Mobile HotSpot locations in the U.S.

I've been loosely following the project here and there, and I had to wonder why were these being offered for sale? The projects founder, Nicholas Negroponte admitted that not all of the verbal agreements he had with Governments were honored. So now if you want to get one of these laptops and have one donated go to www.laptopgiving.org. For the complete hardware specs of what your getting, go to www.laptop.org

After reviewing all the information I decided that I would get one of the units, it is a worthy cause. Check back for a hands on review of the unit once I can get my hands on it.

Here's some photos of the unit itself, and the interface.

OLPC Hardware


Software Interface
blog comments powered by Disqus